Health Tip: Factors That Contribute to Skin Cancer
-- People who have had severe blistering sunburns or frequent exposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays are at greater risk of developing skin cancer, the U.S. National Cancer Institute reminds us.
Here the agency's list of additional factors that increase your risk of getting the disease:
- Using tanning beds on a regular basis.
- Having had skin cancer before.
- Having a close family member with a history of skin cancer.
- Having fair skin that burns easily.
- Taking medication that increases sensitivity to sunlight.
- Having a medical condition that compromises the immune system, or taking a medication that suppresses the immune system.
Posted: June 2011
Recommended for you