Health Tip: Exercising in the Heat
-- You shouldn't stop exercising during the summer months, just because the mercury has jumped to uncomfortable heights. But you should take precautions to protect yourself against heat-related illness.
The American Council on Exercise offers these guidelines:
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.
- Don't exercise as vigorously as you normally do, especially during the first few days of hotter weather.
- Pay attention to factors other than temperature, including humidity.
- Exercise early in the morning or late in the evening, to beat the hottest temperatures.
- Wear lightweight clothing that fits loosely.
- Listen to your body and take a rest when you need it.
Posted: May 2012