Health Tip: Exercise Portion Control
-- To maintain a healthy weight, how much you eat is just as important as what you eat, says the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
Your optimal portion size may or may not match the serving size listed on a product. It's dependent on your age, weight and metabolism, among other factors.
To manage food portions at home, the agency recommends:
- Do not eat out of the box or bag. Take out a serving and eat it off a plate.
- Avoid eating in front of the TV or while busy with other activities.
- Focus on what you are eating, chew well and enjoy your food.
- Eat fewer high-fat, high-calorie foods.
- Freeze food you won't serve or eat right away.
- Eat meals at regular times.
- Buy low-calorie snacks.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: August 2019
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 15, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- Among Mexican Americans, too much abdominal fat predicts the beginning of a buildup of plaque in the arteries called...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 -- Obesity is tied to premature death, but researchers have found that weight-loss surgery can add a few years to your life. In a study involving more...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 -- Limiting TV ads for sugary, salty and high-fat foods and drinks might help reduce childhood obesity, British researchers suggest. They looked at...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.