Health Tip: Encourage Kids to Help in the Kitchen
-- Encouraging children to help in the kitchen is a great way to start building healthy habits and teach them about nutrition.
The American Academy of Pediatrics mentions these suggestions:
- Always make sure that while anything is cooking, an adult is closely supervising a child.
- Teach your child to point sharp edges away from himself or herself.
- Teach your child how to properly measure and weigh ingredients.
- Always cook on the stove's rear burners and turn pot handles inward.
- Instruct your child to always use potholders.
- When finished cooking, be sure to turn off stove burners and the oven.
Posted: February 2013