Health Tip: Encourage Independence Among Preschoolers
-- Preschool-age children are learning to become more independent, a trait that parents should encourage.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests how to foster independence in your preschooler:
- Set limits, enforce the rules and give clear consequences.
- Develop and adhere to predictable routines.
- Take time to talk to your child, ask questions, learn about her day and listen to what she has to tell you.
- Give your child certain responsibilities each day.
- Let your child take responsibility for some bathing and grooming tasks, such as using the potty and getting dressed for school.
- Set basic safety rules, including information on what to do if an adult asks the child to do something he or she isn't comfortable with.
Posted: March 2014