Health Tip: Eating a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
-- A vegetarian diet doesn't have to lack nutrients or variety. There are plenty of delicious and nutritious meat substitutes to include in a vegetarian diet.
The United States Department of Agriculture offers these suggestions:
- Choose low-fat proteins, such as beans, lentils or rice.
- Replace meat with vegetables in dishes such as pasta, pizza and stir-fry.
- Consider serving soy sausage substitutes, veggie burgers, bean burgers or soy hot dogs.
- Avoid high-fat dairy drinks and substitute with soy beverages.
- Ask for meat substitutes or no meat in dishes at restaurants.
- Ethnic menus -- such as Asian or Indian -- tend to offer a variety of vegetarian dishes.
Posted: December 2008
Recommended for you