Health Tip: Eating Healthy on a Family Trip
-- Vacation shouldn't be an excuse to load up on junk food. Parents should help kids make healthy food choices, whether at home or away.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
- Avoid letting children eat out of boredom. Create a daily schedule and show it to kids, adhering as much as possible to regular eating times.
- Packing healthy kid-friendly snacks, such as cheese sticks, fruit and veggies, popcorn, yogurt, trail mix, whole grain crackers and water.
- Alternating between eating out and eating food you bring or make. When you dine out, remind kids about healthy choices, such as drinking milk and eating vegetables and fruit.
- Bringing a stocked cooler to the beach. Keep kids eating on schedule, and remind them to drink plenty of water.
- Explaining to kids that just because food is available, you don't need to eat if you're not hungry.
Posted: August 2016
Recommended for you