Health Tip: Eat Healthier
-- The old adage that "you are what you eat" is true, nutrition experts say.
Here are suggestions for better eating, courtesy of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Avoid diets that focus on avoiding one thing, such as sugar or fat.
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, seafood, low-fat dairy and whole grains. Reduce consumption of refined grains, desserts, sweetened beverages, processed meat and red meat.
- Fill one-fourth of your plate with whole grains, one-fourth with lean proteins, and the remaining half with fruit and veggies.
- Make sure you're eating appropriate portion sizes. Choose healthier unsaturated fats.
- Limit added sugars, such as those often found in desserts, coffee, tea or yogurt.
Posted: June 2016
Recommended for you