Health Tip: Take it Easy After Blood Donation
-- After giving blood, you need to let your body recover.
The American Red Cross offers these suggestions:
- Drink extra fluids, but don't drink alcohol for 24 hours after the donation.
- You can remove the bandage from your arm within a few hours of the donation.
- Use soap and water to gently clean the area around the injection site.
- If the site starts to bleed, apply pressure and hold your arm straight up for 10 minutes, or until bleeding subsides.
- The remainder of donation day, avoid heavy exercise or lifting heavy objects. Don't do anything that makes you feel light-headed or dizzy.
Posted: September 2014
Recommended for you