Health Tip: Early to Bed Before Back to School
-- The first days back to school are a tough transition for many kids and parents. Making sure they are well rested before the first day can help.
The National Sleep Foundation recommends:
- Returning to the normal school-year sleep and wake schedule about two weeks before the start of school. Back up bedtime by about 15 minutes each night and wake time about 15 minutes each morning.
- Maintaining the same sleep schedule throughout the school year, even on weekends.
- Promoting quiet time for relaxing, including books, soft music and a bath or shower before bed.
- Limiting screen time, heavy meals and caffeine before bed.
- Making sure your child's bedroom is cool, quiet, dark and free from distractions.
- Following these rules yourself to set a good example.
Posted: August 2016
Recommended for you