Health Tip: What to Do Before Pregnancy
-- You can do certain things before becoming pregnant to create a safe and healthy environment for your baby, the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development says.
First, you should pay attention to the foods you eat, the vitamins you take and the amount of alcohol you drink, the organization advises.
It offers these additional suggestions:
- Take a folic acid supplement.
- Lead an active, healthy lifestyle.
- Add fiber to your diet. Getting 10 more grams of fiber in the form of cereals, fruit and vegetables is associated with 26 percent lower risk of gestational diabetes.
- Consume less sugar, which can raise your risk of gestational diabetes.
- Eat less red meat, processed meat, animal fats and cholesterol.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2018
Read this next
TUESDAY, Aug. 18, 2020 -- For pregnant women experiencing painful gallstones, immediate surgery to remove the infected gallbladder may be better than postponing the operation...
MONDAY, May 11, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- Women who take high-dose folic acid supplements from pre-pregnancy through mid-pregnancy might increase their risk for...
FRIDAY, May 8, 2020 -- It's happened before: Couples stuck at home during blizzards, hurricanes or other natural disasters enjoy some "alone time" -- and a baby boom follows. But...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.