Health Tip: Differing Thyroid Tests
-- The thyroid is an endocrine gland that makes hormones and helps regulate bodily activities, such as how fast you burn calories and how fast your heart beats.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine says potential tests may include:
- TSH - Measures thyroid-stimulating hormone. This is considered the most accurate measure of thyroid activity.
- T3 and T4 - Measure different thyroid hormones.
- TSI - Measures thyroid-stimulating immunoglobulin.
- Antithyroid antibody test - Measures antibodies (markers in the blood).
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: August 2018
Read this next
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 21, 2020 -- Low levels of thyroid hormone during pregnancy may contribute to the development of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in the child, new research...
TUESDAY, Aug. 25, 2020 -- As many as one-third of doctors may be sending patients for a thyroid ultrasound for reasons not supported by guidelines, a new study finds. The use of...
TUESDAY, July 21, 2020 -- If a heart attack survivor also has an underactive thyroid, treating them with supplemental thyroid hormone probably won't help, new research shows. The...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.