Health Tip: Developing Frostbite
-- When the temperature dips well below freezing and the wind chill plummets, frostbite is a real concern. It can cause permanent tissue damage.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says these people are at greatest risk of developing frostbite:
- The very young and very old, and those who have prolonged exposure to cold.
- People who are wet, and those who aren't properly dressed to protect against cold weather.
- People with circulation problems, such as those with diabetes or hardening of the arteries.
- People who have had a previous cold-related injury.
- People taking medications that affect blood flow to the skin, or those who use alcohol or nicotine.
Posted: February 2014