Health Tip: Depression and Heart Disease
-- The term "broken heart" usually describes a person who has lost a great love. Truth be told, feeling depressed can take a toll on the heart, especially if you have heart disease.
The Cleveland Clinic offers this advice if you've been diagnosed with heart disease and are feeling blue:
- Try to get some physical activity. Be sure to follow your doctor's recommendations for exercise.
- Learn and practice relaxation techniques.
- Engage in activities that make you happy. Avoid unhealthy coping habits such as smoking, drinking or overeating.
- Seek support from family, friends or clergy. Join a support group for people with heart disease.
- Eat a nutritious, balanced diet and commit to getting plenty of sleep.
Posted: February 2014
Recommended for you