Health Tip: Dealing With Separation Anxiety
-- It's common for young children to have a tough time when mom or dad leaves them with someone else.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to help ease separation anxiety:
- Try not to leave the youngster with an unfamiliar caregiver while the youngster is aged 8 months to 1 year. This is when separation anxiety most commonly begins.
- Try not to leave your child when the youngster is very tired or hungry.
- Practice leaving the youngster with someone new for short stints, then extend those periods.
- Stay relaxed and calm, and be consistent in your drop-off routine. This will help your child understand that although are leaving, you will be back.
- Always come back to get your child at the promised time.
- Don't allow crying or tantrums to deter you from leaving.
Posted: July 2010
Recommended for you