Health Tip: Dealing With Picky Eaters
-- Getting children who are picky eaters to eat healthy foods may be a challenge.
The American Academy of Pediatricians offers these suggestions:
- Pack lots of nutrients in your meals, such as by adding grated veggies into baked breads, muffins, pastas and soups, and adding nonfat dry milk into milkshakes or puddings.
- Offer the child a favorite food if he or she also eats something that isn't well-liked.
- Even if your child refused a food once, try serving it again.
- Let children participate in preparing food so they're more anxious to eat it.
- Prepare foods in fun and interesting ways, such as by cutting them into fun shapes or adding a smiley face.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods yourself, providing a good example for your child.
Posted: June 2010
Recommended for you