Health Tip: Cuticle Care
- The tearing of a hangnail, or other cuts and tears in the sensitive skin around the fingernails or toenails, can trigger an infection.
Here are suggestions reduce your risk, courtesy of the University of Michigan Health System:
- Do not pick at your nails and avoid cutting the cuticles.
- Push cuticles back from the nail gently, using a sterile instrument.
- Never pull a hangnail.
- Wear gloves if you are performing an activity that may cut or scratch your fingers.
- See your doctor about a diabetes screening if you get frequent nail infections.
Posted: December 2007