Health Tip: Create a Heart-Healthy Salad
-- Salads don't have to be bland to be nutritious. At the same time, it's easy to overdo calories and fats when adding ingredients to your greens.
The American Heart Association offers these salad-creating tips:
- Choose dark, leafy greens and accent with fresh herbs. Adding veggies -- such as cucumber, cauliflower and broccoli -- boosts crunch and nutrition.
- Include lean proteins -- such as fish, skinless chicken, hard-boiled egg, beans, nuts and low-fat cheese.
- Chop up fresh fruit for added sweetness.
- Add whole grains to help you feel fuller. Opt for quinoa, barley, couscous, bulgur or wild rice.
- Make a healthy vinaigrette with olive oil, vinegar, herbs and spices.
Posted: September 2016
Recommended for you