Health Tip: Cosmetics May Have Side Effects
-- Cosmetic products often contain fragrances and preservatives, which could cause skin problems and other side effects among some users.
The Womenshealth.gov website offers these suggestions for safer use of cosmetics:
- Never apply cosmetics when driving.
- Never share cosmetics with another person.
- Store cosmetics out of direct sunlight, away from heat and with caps tightly closed.
- Skip makeup when you have an eye infection, and throw away old cosmetics if you've developed an infection.
- Don't add liquid to any cosmetic, unless so-directed on the label.
- Throw out cosmetics if the color changes or they develop an odor.
- Don't use aerosol sprays around fire, and take care not to breathe deeply around aerosol sprays or powders.
- Avoid additives that aren't approved for use in a particular cosmetic.
Posted: July 2011
Recommended for you