Health Tip: Coping With Chronic Pain
-- Chronic pain persists for longer than six months. Besides pain medications, the American Academy of Family Physicians offers this list of additional treatment options:
- Physical therapy, including stretching and strengthening exercises.
- Low-impact exercise, including swimming, biking and walking.
- Occupational therapy to learn how to change daily activities to avoid making pain worse.
- Behavioral therapy, such as yoga and meditation, to increase relaxation and decrease stress.
- Lifestyle changes, including quitting smoking, getting plenty of sleep, eating a proper diet, and getting enough exercise.
Posted: August 2007