Health Tip: Cooking Frozen Food
-- Even frozen food should be prepared correctly to minimize your risk of getting sick.
Here are guidelines from the FoodSafety.gov website:
- Follow package instructions for how to heat frozen food. For a microwave, this often involves steps such as peeling back a layer of film, cooking time and stirring.
- If the instructions say to let the food stand after cooking, don't skip this step. It's needed to allow food to finish cooking.
- Read instructions to find out whether you should use a conventional oven or a microwave.
- Adjust cooking time based on the wattage of your microwave.
- Check several spots with a food thermometer to make sure food is heated to correct temperature.
Posted: July 2016
Recommended for you