Health Tip: Cook With Your Child
-- Cooking with your child will help build confidence in tasting the unfamiliar, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
By exposing your child to different types of food, you will boost the child's willingness to try new dishes.
The academy mentions these additional potential benefits:
- You can help your child boost senses besides taste.
- Use cooking as a way to teach concepts such as counting, measurement and fractions.
- The family meal can celebrate your cultural heritage.
- Teach your child the importance of staying safe while cooking. Show the child how to use kitchen tools safely, how to use oven mitts to protect hands, andhow to turn appliances on and off safely.
- Ask the child for input in planning meals.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2019
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 15, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- Among Mexican Americans, too much abdominal fat predicts the beginning of a buildup of plaque in the arteries called...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 -- Obesity is tied to premature death, but researchers have found that weight-loss surgery can add a few years to your life. In a study involving more...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 -- Limiting TV ads for sugary, salty and high-fat foods and drinks might help reduce childhood obesity, British researchers suggest. They looked at...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.