Health Tip: Choosing a Safe Christmas Tree
-- Before you install and decorate your holiday tree, make sure it's safe for you and your family.
The American Academy of Pediatrics mentions these guidelines for choosing a Christmas tree:
- Look for a fire-resistant label on any artificial tree.
- Make sure any live tree is fresh, with needles that bend between your fingers and do not easily fall off the tree. The trunk should also be sticky with sap.
- Place your tree away from a fireplace, portable heater or radiator, and make sure it does not block a doorway.
- To keep your live tree from getting too dry, chop off a few inches from the base of the trunk.
- Keep the tree stand filled with water.
Posted: December 2012