Health Tip: Choosing the Right Babysitter
-- Before hiring a babysitter, make sure you're choosing someone who is trustworthy and educated in caring for children.
The University of Michigan Health System offers these suggestions:
- If possible, have a family member or trusted friend watch your child. Or hire someone who's recommended by a close friend or relative.
- Do not let someone under the age of 12 watch your child.
- Let your child know that the sitter is coming. Discuss your child's feelings, and pay attention to the youngster's reaction.
- Get to know the sitter before his or her first visit, and check all references.
- Make sure the sitter knows CPR and first aid.
- Have the sitter spend time with your family. Watch how the sitter interacts with your children, and vice versa.
Posted: February 2014
Recommended for you