Health Tip: Choosing Athletic Shoes
-- Wearing athletic shoes that don't fit can lead to injury, pain and poor performance.
The American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society suggests how to select the right shoes:
- Buy footwear from a specialty store, where the staff can offer advice and fit you for the right shoes.
- Try on shoes later in the day or after a workout, when your feet are larger.
- Try on shoes with the socks that you will wear during athletics.
- Make sure you can wiggle all of your toes inside the shoes.
- The shoes should be comfortable as soon as you try them on.
- Walk or run a few steps in the shoes to see if they are comfortable.
- The shoes should grip your heels firmly, preventing the heels from slipping while you run or walk.
- Replace shoes after 500 miles of running or 300 hours of aerobic activity.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: June 2018
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.