Health Tip: Choosing Athletic Shoes
-- Wearing athletic shoes that don't fit can lead to injury, pain and poor performance.
The American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society suggests how to select the right shoes:
- Buy footwear from a specialty store, where the staff can offer advice and fit you for the right shoes.
- Try on shoes later in the day or after a workout, when your feet are larger.
- Try on shoes with the socks that you will wear during athletics.
- Make sure you can wiggle all of your toes inside the shoes.
- The shoes should be comfortable as soon as you try them on.
- Walk or run a few steps in the shoes to see if they are comfortable.
- The shoes should grip your heels firmly, preventing the heels from slipping while you run or walk.
- Replace shoes after 500 miles of running or 300 hours of aerobic activity.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: June 2018