Health Tip: Choose Meats Wisely
-- Love to eat meat? As with any food group, there are good choices and bad.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers these suggestions on which meats to choose, and how:
- Select for low-fat meats and chicken, and avoid eating high-fat ground beef or chicken with the skin.
- Don't forget to count the fat and calories in cooking additives. For example, if you cook chicken in shortening, add the extra calories to your count.
- Include fish in your diet, especially those high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, trout and herring.
- Avoid organ meats such as liver, which are high in cholesterol.
- Also avoid processed meats such as hot dogs, ham, sausage and lunch meats, which can be very high in sodium and other additives.
Posted: October 2008