Health Tip: Choose Heart-Healthy Foods
-- A heart-healthy diet can help keep blood vessels clear of plaque, and help reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Womenshealth.gov offers these guidelines for a heart-healthy diet:
- Eating plenty of vegetables and fruits.
- Making at least half of your daily grain consumption whole grains. These may include whole-grain barley, brown rice, whole-grain corn and oatmeal.
- Eating low-fat dairy foods, such as yogurt, cheese and milk.
- Getting lots of nuts and dry beans, lean meat, fish and poultry without the skin.
- Favoring polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats via vegetable oils, fish and nuts.
- Avoiding: saturated and trans fats, sodium (salt), cholesterol and added sugars.
Posted: December 2010
Recommended for you