Health Tip: When Children Grind Their Teeth
-- Bruxism, more commonly known as tooth grinding, usually happens during the toddler and preschool years. It typically subsides by age 6.
Here's what you need to know about tooth grinding, courtesy of the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Tooth grinding isn't the result of a nightmare or stressful memory.
- Teething, ear infections and other sources of pain can lead to tooth grinding.
- Poorly aligned teeth can trigger tooth grinding.
- Anxiety and stress may increase the risk of tooth grinding, but the practice isn't caused by behavioral problems.
- Tooth grinding typically stops before the permanent teeth emerge.
- See your child's dentist if you have concerns.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: June 2017