Health Tip: Children and Bedwetting
-- Millions of children wet the bed, especially those who have just been potty trained. Most the time, the child simply grows out of it.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions on what to do when a child wets the bed:
- Be supportive and positive, and assure your child that there's nothing to be embarrassed about.
- Have your child go to the bathroom one last time right before bed each night.
- Offer plenty of fluids during the day, but cut back at night.
- Avoid giving your child any beverages that contain caffeine.
- Consider waking the child during the night for a bathroom break.
- Offer a motivational reward and plenty of praise when your child wakes up dry.
Posted: October 2011
Recommended for you