Health Tip: Caring for a Sprain
- Sprains are often caused by twisting, straining or stressing ligaments that connect bones. Areas most prone to sprains include the ankles, knees and wrists.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for taking care of a sprain:
- Rest the sprained area.
- Ice the injury.
- Keep the area wrapped with a bandage.
- Keep the injured area elevated.
- As it's starting to heal, lightly exercise the injured area.
- If possible, wear a brace for support until the injury has healed.
Posted: November 2007