Health Tip: Caring for a Ruptured Eardrum
-- A ruptured eardrum typically is caused by an ear infection, an injury to the ear, or sudden changes in air pressure.
Here are suggestions to help heal a ruptured eardrum, courtesy of the University of Michigan Health System:
- Follow all instructions from your doctor, and don't put anything inside your ear unless your doctor says it's OK.
- Keep water out of your ear when you take a bath or shower.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
- Be gentle when blowing your nose until your ear has healed.
- Don't go swimming or submerge your ear in water until your doctor approves.
Posted: April 2008
Recommended for you