Health Tip: Caring for Foot Ulcers
-- Foot ulcers are wounds that commonly develop under the big toe or on the balls of the feet. They're common among people with diabetes.
To care for a foot ulcer, the American Diabetes Association suggests:
- See your healthcare provider about an ulcer, even if it doesn't hurt, to prevent possible infection and serious complications.
- Get rest and stay off your feet if you have an ulcer.
- Use a brace, cast or special shoe if your doctor recommends it.
- Keep blood sugar under control.
- Continue to care for your foot carefully after the ulcer heals, and wear special shoes that offer better protection.
Posted: July 2016
Recommended for you