Health Tip: Be Careful Taking Laxatives
-- Though laxatives are generally safe medications, people should be careful when using them.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these safety warnings about laxative use:
- People with phenylketonuria (PKU) should not use laxatives that include the ingredient phenylalanine.
- People with an allergy to any ingredient in laxatives should not take them. Some people allergic to psyllium, which is used in many laxatives.
- Don't take laxatives over a long period.
- Take laxatives at least two hours before or after your other medications, as they may interfere with how those medications work.
- Check with your doctor before taking laxatives if you are taking prescription medications.
- Don't use multiple types of laxative at once (oral, suppository, etc.)
Posted: April 2010
Recommended for you