Health Tip: Take Care of Kids Exercising in Summer Heat
-- Kids love to play, run, swim and explore -- especially during summer. But that's when parents should keep an eye on them to help guard against heat-related illness.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends:
- When heat or humidity are high, lower the intensity of your child's play.
- Restrict play outdoors until your child has adjusted to warmer weather.
- Encourage your child to drink water before playing outdoors. Then schedule water breaks about every 20 minutes.
- Dress your child in lightweight, light-colored clothing that absorbs sweat.
- Take your child to a cool area immediately if you see signs of lightheadedness, dizziness or nausea.
Posted: July 2017