Health Tip: Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiac rehabilitation under professional supervision often is recommended for people who have had a heart attack, heart surgery, or a related operation.
The American Heart Association lists these benefits of cardiac rehabilitation:
- A rehab program, based on a medical evaluation, often is tailored to a person's specific needs and health problems.
- During physical activity, your blood pressure and heart rate are closely monitored.
- Getting regular exercise can help reduce stress, strengthen your heart, and increase your energy.
- Rehabilitation often includes counseling on making lifestyle changes, including on what to eat, how to prepare food, how to manage stress, quitting smoking, and the importance of taking your medications.
- An associated support group may be available to help you talk about and deal with your concerns and health issues.
Posted: March 2008
Recommended for you