Health Tip: Calculating Your BMI
-- Body-mass index (BMI) is a good indicator of whether you are at a healthy weight.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine says BMI is calculated by multiplying your weight in pounds by 703, and dividing that number by your height in inches. Then divide the result again by your height in inches.
The agency offers the following ranges for interpreting BMI:
- A score below 18.5 indicates being underweight.
- Between 18.5 and 24.9 means a healthy body weight.
- Between 25 and 29.9 means you are overweight.
- Between 30 and 39.9 indicates obesity.
- A score of 40 or higher indicates morbid obesity.
Posted: April 2008