Health Tip: Buy Lean Meat
-- Leaner meat choices are healthier than the fatty variety, but how can you tell what's lean?
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this quick course in deciphering a meat label:
- Choose meats with the word "round" in the name, such as bottom round or top round.
- Look for meats with the word "loin" in the name, such as sirloin, top loin and tenderloin.
- Look for meats labeled "95 percent lean."
- Trim any visible pieces of fat before cooking.
- Prepare meat using methods that cut down on fat, such as grilling, stewing, braising, stir-frying or steaming.
Posted: April 2012
Recommended for you