Health Tip: Breast Self-Exams
- Women should give themselves a breast exam each month, beginning at age 20. This exam should be performed at about the same time every month.
Here are suggestions on what to look for during breast self-exam, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Any changes in an existing lump or a new lump that you haven't felt before.
- Abnormal thickening of the breasts.
- Discharge from the nipples that is bloody or sticky.
- Differences in the skin on your nipples, especially dimpling or puckering of the skin.
- An increase in size of one breast.
- One breast that hangs lower than the other.
Any of these warnings signs should be evaluated by a medical professional as soon as possible.
Posted: October 2007