Health Tip: Belching and Bloating
- Gas and bloating are normal human functions that could be exacerbated by factors including diet and lifestyle.
The American College of Gastroenterology offers these suggestions to help prevent or ease gas and bloating:
- Eat slowly. And if you frequently have gas and bloating, avoid chewing gum and drinking carbonated beverages.
- Treat constipation, if present.
- Avoid too many foods that may be difficult to digest, including brussels sprouts, cabbage, beans and lentils.
- Avoid fiber supplements if you don't need them, as well as foods with sorbitol and fructose.
- Medications designed to relieve gas may provide some relief.
- Frequent belching may be a symptom of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), which should be treated without delay.
Posted: December 2007