Health Tip: Becoming a Step Parent
-- If step-parenthood is in your future, there may be pending bumps in the road between you and your new spouse, your younger children and the children's other parent.
The Nemours Foundation suggests these steps toward an easier transition:
- Start slow, and do not rush the relationship.
- Stay conscious of the children's ages, how long you have known them, how long you dated the parent before marriage, the type of relationship the parent you marry has with the ex-spouse, and how much time you will spend with the kids.
- Do not try to bribe the children with toys or treats to win their love.
- Mind the house rules and keep them consistent.
- Create new family traditions to forge a bond with your step kids.
- Respect all parents, whether the ex has died or the parents are divorced.
- Don't use the kids as messengers or spies.
- Talk openly with your new partner about what you can do to make effective parenting decisions together.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2019
Read this next
FRIDAY, Oct. 23, 2020 -- Kids growing up in poverty show the effects of being poor as early as age 5 -- especially those who are Black, a new study suggests. The research adds to...
THURSDAY, Oct. 22, 2020 -- Pregnancy can increase the risk of a rare, dangerous heart condition called aortic dissection, researchers report. This is especially true for women...
By Stefani Kopenec American Heart Association News THURSDAY, Oct. 22, 2020 (American Heart Association News) -- Wendy Wees suffered a miscarriage during her first pregnancy with...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.