Health Tip: Batteries May Be Dangerous for Kids
-- Batteries may look tempting to young children, and are hazardous if swallowed.
The Safe Kids Worldwide website offers these suggestions to help protect kids from batteries:
- Make sure all devices containing lithium batteries (including remotes, hearing aids, calculators, thermometers and musical greeting cards) are out of a child's sight and reach.
- Place a piece of tape over the battery compartment to make it more difficult for children to get to the batteries.
- Store any extra batteries out of children's reach.
- Make sure babysitters and family members are aware of the dangers of batteries.
- Immediately take your child to a hospital if you suspect that a battery has been swallowed.
Posted: May 2014