Health Tip: Bake a Healthier Treat
-- Eating healthier doesn't mean you can never have dessert; you just have to make better choices.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
- Limiting portion sizes of your favorite treats, which may be loaded with sugar, fat and calories. Opt for mini cupcakes, or cut desserts into 2-inch squares.
- Bake with quality ingredients, such as vanilla beans instead of extract.
- Puree fruit or vegetables, substituting them for oil or butter.
- Substitute at least half of the white flour in a recipe for whole-wheat flour.
- Opt for low-fat milk instead of regular milk.
- Skip the cream cheese in frosting for Greek yogurt.
- Skip butter and replace with a heart-healthy oil, such as canola.
- Reduce sugar in your recipe by about 25 percent, which shouldn't sacrifice taste.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: March 2017