Health Tip: Be Aware of Drug and Food Interactions
-- Many common medications interact with food, causing side effects or changing the way the medications work.
The American Academy of Family Physicians advises:
- Read the medication's label before you take the drug. Ask your pharmacist or doctor about anything you don't understand.
- Read interaction precautions, instructions and warnings on medication labels, both over-the-counter and prescription.
- Drink a full glass of water when you take medications, unless your doctor gives you other instructions.
- Unless your doctor tells you to do so, don't break apart medication pills or capsules, or mix medications with food or hot drinks.
- Do not take medications at the same time that you take vitamins or supplements.
- Don't take medications with alcohol.
Posted: November 2016
Recommended for you