Health Tip: Avoiding Leg Cramps
-- Painful leg cramps can happen to anyone, but tend to be common among seniors.
The AARP recommends:
- Gently stretch and flex the leg to ease a cramp.
- Ask your doctor if a medication, such as a statin or diuretic, could be causing your leg cramps.
- Make sure your electrolyte levels are normal. Below-normal levels of potassium, magnesium or calcium could trigger leg cramps.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Make sure the covers aren't too tight on your bed.
- Choose shoes with proper arch support.
Posted: May 2015