Health Tip: Avoid Your Child's Asthma Attacks
-- One of the first steps toward managing your child's asthma is to recognize the allergens or irritants that can trigger an attack. Frequently, these may include dust, pet dander, smoke, exercise or polluted air.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions:
- During allergy seasons, run the air conditioner and keep the windows in your home and car closed. Regularly replace filters from your home's cooling system.
- Keep bathrooms, kitchens and basements clean and allow them to air out. Run a dehumidifier, if needed, in these areas.
- Reduce dust and dust mites by frequently washing bed linens in hot water. Remove any carpets and rugs, if possible.
- Keep pets out of your child's bedroom.
- Keep your child away from tobacco smoke.
Posted: August 2009
Recommended for you