Health Tip: Avoid Triggers for Eczema
-- The skin condition eczema, characterized by an itchy red rash, may be caused by a host of allergens or irritants.
The Nemours Foundation offers this list of common triggers for eczema:
- Allergens such as animal dander, dust, mold or pollen.
- Cold, dry winter air, or severe heat.
- Dry skin.
- Harsh soaps or detergents.
- Irritating fabrics such as wool, or fabrics with a coarse weave.
- Perfume, cologne and some skin care products, especially those with alcohol.
- Tobacco smoke.
- Some foods, commonly dairy foods and those that are highly acidic.
- Emotional stress.
Posted: February 2010
Recommended for you