Health Tip: Avoid These 5 Pre-Bedtime Don'ts
-- Your habits just before you slip into bed could be sabotaging your night of sleep.
The National Sleep Foundation says do NOT:
- Take any over-the-counter medications that contain pseudoephedrine, found in common cold medicines, which can keep you awake. Opt for a nighttime formula that may help you feel drowsy.
- Text, watch TV or spend time on the computer shortly before bed.
- Take a hot shower or bath just before bed. It's best to do so about an hour before you plan to sleep, as that gives your body temperature time to drop again.
- Indulge in a greasy, fattening, salty bedtime snack, which can be stimulating and trigger nightmares.
- Drink caffeine beyond the morning, as it can stay in your system for as long as 12 hours.
Posted: September 2016
Recommended for you