Health Tip: Avoid Spreading Pinkeye
-- Pinkeye, or conjunctivitis, is a highly contagious infection that causes eye redness, discharge and irritation.
The Nemours Foundation suggests how parents and children can help prevent the infection's spread:
- Teach your child to wash hands with soap and water frequently and thoroughly.
- Never let children share eye drops, pillow cases, towels/washcloths, tissues or eye makeup.
- After you've treated an infected child's eyes, immediately and carefully wash your own hands.
- Safely discard any gauze or cotton balls used to clean your child's eye.
- Wash your child's linens in very hot water separately from the rest of the family's laundry.
- For children who get allergic conjunctivitis, frequently vacuum your home, and keep windows closed when outdoor allergen counts are high.
Posted: October 2012