Health Tip: Avoid Poison Ivy
-- Poison ivy rash can range from mild to severe. It typically appears 1 to 2 days after contact with the plant, and is caused by an oil called urushiol, to which most people are allergic.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says you can help prevent a poison ivy rash by:
- Wearing protective clothing when you work on the lawn or in the garden. This includes long sleeves, long pants and gloves.
- Washing your clothes and shoes after being outside.
- Cleaning your gloves and tools after each use.
- Washing your pets after they've been outside. Most pets are not allergic to the oil, but they can spread it to you.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: May 2018
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.