Health Tip: Avoid Germs From a Petting Zoo
-- Petting zoos are a fun attraction for children, but it can expose you and the youngsters to germs.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises that you take these precautions:
- Make use of any hand-washing stations set up around the petting zoo.
- Always wash hands immediately after petting the animals, after touching gates or fences, and always before you eat.
- Try to wash hands with soap and water; hand-sanitizing gel will suffice if no running water is present.
- Never take food or drink into the petting zoo area.
- Carefully watch young children, especially those aged 5 or younger. Make sure that while petting the animals, they don't put anything into their mouths -- including fingers, pacifiers or toys.
Posted: May 2009
Recommended for you